Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Annual Merry Christmas, Happy Holiday's Debate has begun and a Silly Debate it is

Posted by Zman

Looks like the annual Merry Christmas, Happy holiday's debate has begun, Too me the whole thing is silly. Happy Holiday's is said to include the entire season from Thanks giving to New years, Merry Christmas is said to reference that holiday specifically. I don't remember this being a big deal until the last ten to fifteen years. Up until then people said Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas and no one was offended by either greeting. and I'm seeing posts on both sides of the issue and to me the whole thing is silly. I mean how does someone saying Happy Holidays to you take away from your celebration of your holiday. and if someone says Merry Christmas to you even if you don't celebrate it why not just say Merry Christmas to you too in response. Getting all bent out of shape because someone wished you Merry Christmas makes you seem like a four year old. Same if you get bent out of shape if someone wishes you Happy Holiday's. How hard can it be to just say Happy holidays and a Merry Christmas to you too. Combine both greetings in your response. That's what I do when someone wishes me Merry Christmas. I say, "and a Merry Christmas and a happy holiday season to you too." I personally prefer "Happy Holidays" because it includes the whole holiday season and what ever someone responds with I simply say, "thank you" It just seem to be a little childish to get hung up on a greeting. and that goes for people on both sides of this silly debate.  Sheesh,  seems like everything Christmas starts earlier every year. 

No comments: