Tuesday, November 08, 2011

My take on the "We Want a Cure for Tourette Syndrome posts on Facebook.

Posted by Zman

No doubt by now you have seen the Tourette Syndrome posts on Facebook. If you have not, I'll describe it to you. It is a picture of a green T shirt with the words, "We want a cure for Tourette Syndrome, When do we want it, C@#t" I won't type the full word but you get the idea. Basically it pokes fun at the uncontrollable swearing part of Tourette Synbdrome.

Now as someone who has Tourette Syndrome I'd like to point out that the swearing, or coprolalia is the rarest form of Tourette Syndrome but unfortunately gets the most publicity. Tourette Syndrome is a disorder effecting the nervous system that causes involuntary movements and sounds called tics. These take many forms. Now I do have involuntary vocalizations. Anyone who works with me has seen me walking around appearing to talk to myself. Now my co workers know I'm just blurting out random words and phrases. I do it at a whisper so you'd have to be standing almost next to me to hear it. I've been able to control the volume but of course can't control the vocalizations but I do not have the swearing problem. As I said, that part is very rare.

Along with the tics Tourette Syndrome can come along with other problems like OCD (obsessive Compulsive Disorder, ADHD, ADD,anxiety, depression, and other problems so it is more than just a swearing disease and should not be taken lightly. I wonder if the people posting this to Facebook would also post similar comments about other diseases and disorders like cancer or mental illness. I'm guessing probably not. They'd catch hell from most of their friends. Tourette Syndrome is no different. It should never be considered OK to poke fun at a disease or disorder It is no more appropriate to post these kinds of comments about Tourette Syndrome than it would be about any other disease or disorder. Those of us who live with Tourette Syndrome can tell you it is no picnic.

All this Facebook post shows is peoples ignorance, Instead of making fun of someones disorder or disability, why not take a few minutes and try to actually learn something about it.

4 comments:

Manuel said...

As a tourette's suffer who would like to see it end, do you know where I can buy the shirt?

Anonymous said...

If you can't laugh at yourself, you have nothing. Lighten up.

LittleFlurry said...

I agree, One does need to laugh at ones self. However that particular joke was not funny. I'm sure you have a good sense of hummer but at the same time have things you find unfunny as well. That Facebook "joke" crossed the line from good fun to offensive.

LittleFlurry said...

An actual shirt does not exist. It was someones attempt at hummer.